Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Michael Vick's Fighting Pit Bulls

Okay, I know what you're all thinking, "I've seen this already!" I know, I know, but I had to get it up on the blog! For those of you who haven't seen these yet, this was a story I worked on for The New York Times (it never gets old saying that) on the rehabilitation of Michael Vick's fighting pit bulls at Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah. I'm still getting several nice emails from people all over the nation about the photos; I'd like to thank everyone for all the kind comments, and I'm still trying to reply to each and every one of your emails. Be sure to check out the multimedia piece I did for this story, which you can find here, at nytimes.com.

Here's the layout, including a shot on the front page:



This photo got the most attention by far, it really shows the connection these dogs have with their caregivers:


Here's a caregiver taking a nap with Georgia:



Here's Lucas, Vick's champion dog:



Lucas was also one of the sweetest dogs you'll ever meet. Here he is licking the face of Jeff, one of the caregivers:



Lucas, once again looking for attention:



Meryl, peeking out of his igloo:



Handsome Dan, with a caregiver:

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome pictures. You captured the beauty and soul of the breed. JUST LIKE ANY DOG, they are sweet and loving if shown love.

Anonymous said...

i think you can make the world see that pit bulls can be nice and sweet like all dogs. i had a pit bull and every one said it is going 2 be mean but it was the niced dog i have ever had it ment the world to me and i hope people see that pit bulls can be just as good as any other dog. LOVE YOU MISSY it wont be the same with out you in the house.

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about pit bulls, but I don't think that ANY dog should be treated poorly. These caregivers are angels and it's great that they are there helping to give these dogs the love and affection that every dog deserves!

Anonymous said...

You can tell by the scars on that poor dog's face, how life has been under the hands of this deranged excuse for a human being. Michael Vick should NEVER possess or come in contact with a dog in his lifetime. This is a hateful despicable and hateful piece of garbage. May he rot in hell before he gets his hands on another dog.